Saturday, November 9, 2013

Gloves - This Winter's Fashion Statement

Picture (c)  of Vogue Magazine
I am a huge fan of elegance and decorum from the 1940s and 1950s. I also think some of the things they did for fashion make great sense today. The way they wore gloves in those days must have kept them all healthier since they weren't touching germy doors with bare hands. 

Okay, so I am a bit of a germaphobe. Alright, a LOT of a germaphobe. I wash my hands as soon as I get to my office, I wash my hands throughout the day. I touch door handles and elevator buttons with my sleeve or the back of my hand instead of my fingers. And I ALWAYS use hand sanitizer after I pump gas. 

If you think about it, we walk around touching door handles, railings, elevator buttons and such that hundreds of people have touched before us. 
Is it any wonder we pass so many illnesses around? 

So I am adding gloves into my wardrobe this fall. They will stay a part of my wardrobe through the year and not just with formal gowns or in snow. 

One of my favorite looks for gloves is worn by the editor of the magazine in the movie Funny Face. The gloves are a little longer and flared so they cover her cuffs. Click the video below to see the wonderful Think Pink clip from the movie. 




I have begun my hunt for the perfect gloves that will look great and add a certain panache to any outfit.         

Gloves can be cute and sassy at wrist length, or more mid-forearm length with a flare to keep blouse and jacket cuffs clean until you get to your destination.     

You can get great vintage finds on eBay for very little cost. Click here for the results of a search on eBay. I have recently found a seller with some great options and have purchased the ones in the pictures you see here. 

Since my favorite ones were longer, I found these fabulous flared gloves to the right. I love the detail at the wrist and can't wait to see how they look with my favorite blazers. 

I also purchased some of the short ones. I found a great deal on 2 pairs with fabulous design. I can even wear them with jeans and a sweater. 

 
I love the detailing on these gloves. They remind me of the ones the office women had on in the Funny Face video link above. 
 
The detailing on the wrist is wonderful and the colors go with everything. These gloves are made out of cotton so they wash and dry in a delicate load.    

I live in an area that doesn't get too cold so these gloves will work well for me through the winter. Those of you in snowy areas can still wear cute gloves by choosing ones that have a bit of flare and style. There are some adorable wool and leather gloves available today.
  
Cute faux fur cuffed gloves

 

Isotoner Tech Touch Gloves with Faux Fur C... Find arm and hand wear at Target.com! Isotoner tech touch gloves with faux fur cuff - b... [More]
Price: 19.99
Isotoner Tech Touch Gloves with Mint Polka...
Find arm and hand wear at Target.com! Isotoner tech touch gloves with mint polka dot cu... [More]
Price: 19.99





You can also wear the vintage cotton gloves when running from your house to car to the heated malls or businesses.   Add some flare to your winter accessories and join me in bringing back gloves year round.   
Think of how gorgeous and healthy we will all be! 

Yours in Style,    
Laureen 

No comments:

Post a Comment