Sunday, January 26, 2014

Creative Centerpieces

So I am just going to spit it out: I am tired of giant balls of roses on thin vases at weddings. There. I've said it and there is no taking it back. 

I like creative centerpieces, something different, unexpected, but fitting to the event. 

Throw in some unusual flowers, unexpected "vases" and some original designs. 


For example, we threw my Mom a tea party for her birthday one year. Most people would put flowers in tea pots. And while that is perfectly lovely, it just lacks imagination. I put them into vintage purses and had a matching hat with each. 



This could be really cute at a garden party or vintage themed wedding too. 


For my Halloween Party this year, I made real flowers bleed. I made up some fake blood and had it drip from the upper flowers into a bowl with a pure white lisianthus. 





Let's get creative!






For my niece's wedding, we used antique brass candlesticks for the base of the flowers.


She also requested no roses, daisies, carnations, tulips, or orchids. Brilliant! Something unique and challenging. I loved it! 


A good centerpiece should use the following criteria:
  • Must not block the conversation or the view of the person across the table. 
  • Must be creative and unusual. 
  • Must not block the conversation or the view of the person across the table.
  • Should coordinate with the theme, colors, and style of the event. 
  • Must not block the conversation or the view of the person across the table.

Can you guess which is most important to me? While many of the centerpieces I see in pictures are perfectly lovely, there is no way to see around them. You have immediately stifled the conversation of the table and dropped the level of energy at your party. The only time this is okay is when you KNOW you are sitting people at the same table that do not like each other and you are preventing a fight--better yet, change the seating! 

So whether you are planning your Easter table or your wedding, make sure you have something that speaks of you. Something different that guests will remember. And something that helps the guests interract. 

Let's party!
Laureen 

No comments:

Post a Comment