Friday, June 21, 2013

DIY Wedding or Event

Last month was really busy for me in a fun way. I helped to plan a princess tea party for my 4 year old great niece, attended the wedding of another niece, and threw a bridal shower for another niece. Did I mention I have a large family?

I'm the one with the pony tails in front
I am the youngest of 8 children. Most of my siblings have families of their own so I also have many nieces and nephews. 

Some of them are grown and now have families of their own. They provide me with a never-ending source of joy and fun.






I enjoy entertaining and am always game to try the latest Pinterest craft so I get to participate in many of the family gatherings.

In prepping for the parties I tried new crafts to see what I could actually do. Many things on Pinterest look great but you need an art degree to make them come out looking like the pictures. I am not an artist so I should be a pretty good barometer of how difficult a craft is. If you want proof of this phenomena you can laugh along with the folks at Pinterest Fail.

I made my first Pom to test out the process. You know, those tissue paper balls that are in vogue right now. It was very easy and came out looking great, even though I found I didn't own a pair of scissors sharp enough to cut through 8 folded sheets of tissue paper. I rate Pom making "easy."

Let me know if you want tips and I would be happy to put together a video of things you must do to make them come out looking like the pictures. 



I ended up doing the whole shower myself and it turned out better than I could have hoped. In coming posts I'll tell you how I planned the events and made a DIY plan. Let me know if you are planning your own wedding and if you are stuck on something. I can help! You CAN make gorgeous parties on a budget.

Have faith in yourself and leave plenty of time to plan. You can have the wedding or event of your dreams. Let me help!


Laureen 

2 comments:

  1. I ended up using kitchen scissors to cut through mine and it was still slightly difficult!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post -- you're right - sometimes you need an art degree to figure these things out. What's great about DIY projects though is that they are yours to create any way you like -- you don't have to make yours exactly like someone else's - let them inspire you to make it your own - like you did your Pom :)

    Lucy
    Love 2 Create

    ReplyDelete