Friday, June 6, 2014

Homemade Healthy Toothpaste that works - Whitens too!

I just got back from the dentist and they had to do very little scraping. Yea! The main thing I attributed this change to is the homemade toothpaste I have been using. Yep, homemade, organic, and works! It is even whitening my teeth. 

On top of all that, it is cheap and easy to make! Score! 

I found a recipe on Pinterest that took me to JJ Begonia's site. The toothpaste recipe she had looked good, and I had all the ingredients on hand. 

A little warning before you run off and make this. It does not taste like normal toothpaste. You will be brushing with baking soda, which has a very salty flavor--not something most of us are used to in our toothpaste. However, it also doesn't include any of that junk that the national brands have in them so it is much better for you. 

Here is the recipe for easy reference. I made minor modifications to the original: 

Teeth Whitening Toothpaste

Ingredients (Makes 2 Ounces)

3 Tablespoons organic Baking Soda (find it HERE)
3 Tablespoons organic Coconut Oil--I always use Nutiva (find it HERE)
2 Teaspoons Hydrogen Peroxide (find it HERE
1/4 packet Stevia (find it HERE)
5 or 6 drops Organic Peppermint Oil to taste (find it HERE)

Directions
Mix the baking soda and coconut oil until smooth. Add peroxide and stevia and mix. Put in 5-6 drops of peppermint essential oil and do a final mix. Store in an airtight container. 


I have read where some people caution against using baking soda to brush the teeth every day, saying it will damage the enamel. My dentist didn't state that baking soda would harm my teeth at all. 

I have also seen similar things about hydrogen peroxide. There is so little of it in this mixture, and I use the 3%, so it has been fine for me to use. My teeth are definitely whiter than they have been in a while.

Happy brushing! 
Laureen

No comments:

Post a Comment