Friday, January 4, 2013

Party and Event Planning - Lay the foundation

For my day job, I teach people how to plan projects and follow them through to completion. I use the same techniques in event planning. I like to lay the foundation and have a clear image of the event before I plan details. This method works whether I am planning an intimate dinner party, a picnic, or a formal event. I start by asking myself the following questions:

  • What is the purpose of the event?
  • What do I want the tone or mood of the event to be?
  • What is important to me?
  • What do I want for my guests?
  • How do I want to participate in the event?

What is the purpose of the event? 
Understand the real purpose or goal. Is it to get married? Is it to let someone know you love them? Is it to make sure someone is ready for their new child? Is it to get together and talk? Play games? Laugh? This is the cornerstone of your event. 

At the end of the day this purpose is the only thing that matters (I can feel Martha Stewart's unease as I write this--What about the guests???--they will come later). Having your primary goal straight in your own mind can often put the details of the party in perspective. This is your prime directive; keep your eyes on this goal at all times.


What do I want the tone or mood of the event to be?
Determine the tone of the event. Do I want a really formal event? Do I want a more relaxed event? Do I want people to mingle? Dance? Get wild? Imagine your guests as they arrive, during the party, and as they leave the event. This will help you determine how the event should progress. 
 
People will also pick up on how you're feeling and it will drive the undertone of the event. If you're stressed, people attending the event can see and feel it and they won't have as good of a time. To combat this, plan. How you prepare for the party and how you behave during the party will set the stage. 




What is important to me? 
Remember that no one other than you knows exactly how you planned the party to go. Therefore they won't know something isn't to plan unless you let them know. Decide what will be most important to you after the party is over. This should be the area you focus on most. For example, after my wedding what was important to me were memories, pictures, and my dress. During the wedding I made sure I was present and paid attention as the day unfolded. Afterwards, I had my pictures and gown to cherish. During planning, I made sure to plan what pictures I really wanted. Who I wanted to capture.


What do I want for my guests?
At the end of the party, do you see them as sweaty, hair messed, danced out, exhausted from fun? Or do you picture them leaving in the same elegant state that they arrived with huge smiles on their faces? 

Use your vision to help plan the next level of party details. Remember your guests' comfort is important. You want guests to have sore feet from dancing, not from there being too few chairs. 


For me, it is always important that people are comfortable in the environment I have set. This covers everything from parking, walking surfaces, space to move and mingle, plenty of food and drinks, chairs, good room temperature, etc.
 
How do I want to participate in the event?  
There are times when being in the background (i.e. kitchen) is okay. Most times when we host we want to participate as well. Determine how you want to be on that day. Will you be with your guests, mingling, and having fun?  Or do you want to play the role of caterer and be there just to serve? Pick where you want to be on this spectrum of choices and do all you can in advance to make sure you get to participate as much as you want. 


While you can never plan every step of the event you can make that day, as well as your planning process, go much more smoothly if you lay the groundwork before you dive into your plans. The journey to the event can be as much fun as the event itself. Just give yourself some time to imagine what you want, see it in your mind's eye, and then do it.  Imagine...see...do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment