Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Seeds are Sprouting Early this Year

I wanted to try something new in my never-ending search to eat the healthiest food I can find that also tastes good. Taste, texture, and how I feel eating the food are all very important to me. I became brave this week after reading some articles on sprouting beans and grains. I have already been eating oat groats and I love quinoa so I decided to mix the two and sprout the grains together
Oat Groats
Red Quinoa
Why would I do this? After much research it boils down to this: "When grains, seeds and nuts are germinated, their nutritional content changes and, as they are generally not cooked, they retain their natural plant enzymes... As well as retaining the enzymes, they also retain the nutrients that would otherwise be destroyed by cooking. Sprouted grains, seeds and nuts also encourage the growth of good bacteria, and are high in protective antioxidants."  Read more: Natural Therapy Pages


Sprouting grains turns out to be easier than I thought it would be. I put a half cup each of quinoa and groats into a container that would hold about 4 cups. I used a container with lid that I would put leftover into. Cover the grains with 3 cups of water and put the lid on. Let sit for at least 12 hours at room temperature. When time is up, drain the remainder of the water and let the grains sit in the container with the lid cracked. Every 12 hours, add water and rinse the grains and then immediately drain. The grains will begin to sprout after about 24 hours. 

The first time you sprout grains or beans I would try them when the sprouts are small. They don't need to look like the sprouts you buy in the grocery store. The grains take on a bit of a grassy flavor as they sprout. 

The quinoa and groats I sprouted had a nice chewy texture and had a more savory flavor than non-sprouted, with just a hint of the grassy flavor. 

I ate them for breakfast for a few mornings, taking a serving and storing the rest in their container in the refrigerator. Since I didn't want the grains to keep growing, I stopped rinsing them.

This amount of sprouted grains made enough for 3 meals. I added some So Delicious Coconut Milk, brown sugar, and warmed them up. I then added a dollop of my blueberry compote. This made for a delicious, filling, and pretty breakfast. What a great way to start a day. 


To your health! 
Laureen

No comments:

Post a Comment