Sunday, July 28, 2013

DIY Celebrations and Weddings - Homemade Butter Mints

A few months ago, I threw a shower for my niece who was getting married. You can see the buffet at left. It was 100% DIY and I did it all myself. 

My niece is very special to me. I was able to hold her when she was just 5 hours old. I have watched her grow up into a wonderful young lady. She has style and panache that is all her own.  

I used the style of her wedding as a theme for the shower and included the burlap table cloths, shabby chic cake plates, and light peaches and corals in the flowers.

I served heavy appetizers at the shower since it started at 1:30 PM. Since I was only serving appetizers, I made sure there were 12 pieces per person available, although that ended up being way more than enough food. We also had multiple desserts, and I used the cakes as decorations during the appetizer portion of the shower.

For dessert we had a 2-tiered frosted cake, a lemon poppy seed Bundt cake, strawberry cheesecake parfaits, and homemade butter mints.

Today I will give you the oh-so-simple recipe for my butter mints.  Later this week, I will give my recipe for the strawberry parfaits.The butter mints are the easiest recipe I have ever made as they consist of 3 ingredients: cream cheese, powdered sugar, and peppermint extract. I cut mine into little hearts for the bridal shower.

Laureen's Butter Mints

2 8 oz Packages of Cream Cheese
4 Cups Powdered Sugar
1 teaspoon Peppermint Extract

Let cream cheese come to room temperature. In a stand mixer or food processor combine cream cheese, 3 cups powdered sugar and peppermint extract. Mix until well blended. Add remaining cup of powdered sugar slowly until dough forms into a ball. You may not need all of the powdered sugar or you may need a bit more depending on the humidity in the air. 

Let dough rest in refrigerator for an hour. 

When chilled, roll dough into a ball with hands then press to flatten (you can use a rolling pin if you like but it was easy to just press it out). I pressed mine out until it was about 1/3" thick. I used a very small cookie cutter to cut the mints. I worked with small amounts of the dough and kept the rest refrigerated. It is much easier to cut them out if the dough is cold. 

You can also just form the dough into small balls, disks or any shape you desire. 

Store them in an air tight container in the refrigerator. They can keep for over a week so make them ahead! 

Hope this helps you DIYers with weddings and celebrations. Let me know what you think!

Laureen 


No comments:

Post a Comment