Thursday, July 4, 2013

DIY Weddings and other parties....where do I begin?

Wedding in the Woods
Many of us like to do things ourselves, plan our own events and carry out our designs without the use of a planner or organizer. If you want to join the Do it Yourselfers, you CAN do it! You just need the steps along the way. 

It's easy enough for me to say you need to start at the beginning. But where does the beginning start? 

Be sure to lay the foundation of your event. I give instructions on how to do this in a previous post: Event Planning: Laying the Foundation. The first 5 questions to answer are: 
  • What is the purpose of the event?
  • What do I want the tone or mood of the event to be?
  • What is important to me?
  • What do I want for my guests?
  • How do I want to participate in the event? 
Really think about these questions and determine your ultimate answer. Is your purpose to be married or is it to impress family and friends? Be honest with yourself. If you really want to impress others you need to know that is your ultimate goal. (There is no right or wrong answer, it's your party and what you want is up to you.)

I give plenty of instruction regarding each question in the previous post so be sure to read it if you are struggling with any of the answers.

The next step is to create a vision for your party. Keeping your foundation answers in mind, determine options that can meet the goals you have set. For example, let's say I responded to the 5 foundation questions in the following manner:  
Beach Wedding
  • What is the purpose of the event? To marry my fiance.
  • What do I want the tone or mood of the event to be? Fun, with a focus on family, and a touch of elegance.
  • What is important to me? That our family and friends help us celebrate our love in a beautiful and fun outdoor setting. At the end of the day, that we are married.
  • What do I want for my guests? Most will be from out of town. I want them to be comfortable, have plenty to eat and drink, enjoy their surroundings, dance, laugh, and love with us, without them having to spend a lot.
  • How do I want to participate in the event? I want to fully participate and not have to worry about anything that day.
Do you know exactly what kind of wedding you want? If you don't, now is the time to really think about you and your fiance' and determine what works for you. 

So keeping these answers in mind, my vision could be: 
To get married in an outdoor setting that is easy to get to, has the amenities I need, and is beautiful. I will need someone to coordinate the day, know the vendors, and who will understand exactly what I want. We will have between 75 and 100 guests, who will need reasonable accommodations, transportation, and the ability to get around in unfamiliar territory. We will have plenty of food, drink (alcoholic and non), and will make a long weekend of the event. 


Garden Wedding
Using this method, can you see how your plan is developing? Your venue will be outdoors, easy to get to, and provide part of your decor. Your dress can be long or short but not too formal. You will need a coordinator that you know and who knows you for the day of and probably a few days before so they can get to know the vendors. You need to find a place for many out of town guests to stay, and determine how you can have a long weekend wedding. 

Your plan and vision for your big day is coming together! Next we will talk about budget and "dream" items (things you may splurge on). 

Comment below if this is helping you to plan your big day! I am happy to answer questions as well. 

Happy Planning! 
Laureen 




No comments:

Post a Comment