Sunday, September 22, 2013

Halloween Decor: Feather wreath - DIY Level: Easy!

I love Halloween. I am a big fan of DIY Halloween. It was always a big deal for us when I was a kid. My Dad was an artist and we would always have our faces painted instead of using masks. Our costumes were always original since we made them ourselves. Halloween was the start of the Holiday Season for us and it meant 2+ months of fun, crafts, and happy times. 

I have already started my Halloween crafts for the year and wanted to share them with you. I love the look of the feather wreaths that are on the market, but I don't want to spend what stores are asking for them. 

I found that by using a couple of good boas, a styrofoam wreath, and some U-shaped upholstery pins I could make one in a matter of minutes. 


Here is the tricky part: these items can be costly to buy by themselves so you need to look for really good deals. I found the styrofoam wreath form online for $3. I saw them at some places for up to $9! Do not pay that much. 



My next tip is to get good feather boas. I found mine at JoAnn's Fabrics and Crafts and used a 50% off coupon to get them. Use the JoAnn's app on your smartphone and there is no clipping or looking for coupons required. When you get them with the coupon they are $4. Some of the dollar store boas are thin and will make for a less expensive looking wreath.

I also found U-Shaped Upholstery Pins for $3 at JoAnn's. Do not get the U-Shaped Hair Pins. Make sure you get sharp pins. 


Instructions:

Take one of the boas and the wreath. Use a U-Shaped pin to pin the very end of the boa to the foam. 

Wrap the boa around the wreath, looping it into the center of the wreath and around. Space the boa so that you can't see any of the styrofoam. 

When you get to the end of the boa, pin down the end. For me, the boa covered half of the wreath form. As shown at right. I like how the full boa makes the wreath really puffy.

There were little bumps at the end of the boa that I purchased and it was easy to pin them into the wreath. Use the second boa to cover the second half of the wreath. 

Pin the ends just as you did with the first boa and the wreath is done! You can add bows, skulls, or other accents if you want. Below is the picture of the wreath on my door.    

I love the look of it and how full and fluffy it is. You don't get the same fullness with cheap boas (although it's not like $4 is a lot). 

I will be showing more crafts and designs for fall and Halloween coming up in the next few weeks. 

And I have big news! I am going to be a guest blogger on a local Wholesale flower Store! Details to come! YAY!

I hope you are enjoying your Autumn. Take a few minutes to create your own feather wreath. Happy Haunting!

Laureen

No comments:

Post a Comment