Sunday, September 15, 2013

Invitations with life - seed embedded paper and DIY invitations


I love sending invitations. I like printed invitations because they are so fun to receive and are a physical reminder of the upcoming event. Invitations are the first time guests are getting an idea of the type of party you are throwing. They symbolize the look and feel of the event. The best part is, it is easy to DIY your own invitations.




There are so many ways to make your invitations represent your party by using fonts, pictures, designs and even the paper.

Recently I sent invitations and used a seed-embedded paper that the guests could plant. I included a matching envelope that was seeded too. The seeds were small and didn't impact the printing at all. 

I found the paper online by doing a search and immediately loved it. 

I created the design of the invitation in MS Word. Search templates for Invitation and all sorts of fun ones come up. I always play with a few designs before I find the one I want. I ended up using a plain one so the beauty of the paper stood out. 

Use standard printer paper to layout and test print your invitations. This allows you to make sure the design is working before you use the more expensive paper.  When all looks good, add the invitation paper to the printer and print away. 

If your paper is thicker than standard paper be sure to adjust the feeder on your printer before you print. If pages are sticking and not printing straight, this could be the cause. 

Always plan to print a few that won't be sent. There are always a few pages that give me trouble, especially when use specialty papers. 

Since I printed 2 invitations per sheet of paper, I cut them with a paper cutter. This is the easiest method to cut sheets in half, but you can always fold and cut them with scissors or a razor blade. 

I included a slip that described the invitation paper and how to plant it so that guests would know this invitation could live on. I added a little flower design to make it special and match the invitation. 

I printed the instructions on standard paper and printed 4 per page. Again, I used the paper cutter to cut them apart.

The envelopes matched the paper and to seal them, I used a pressed flower sticker that I found on the internet. It's the little details that really make a big difference. People may not notice each one, but the feeling is there and each detail sets a tone.

When I held the party, guests commented on the invitations and how much they enjoyed them. From the invitations they could tell it would be a special day, with natural details and a slight rustic charm. 

The best part? Guest actually planted the invitations. I can't wait to see pictures of the herbs and flowers as they grow.  


Make your parties special by sending invitations. They don't need to be expensive and can set the tone for the whole event. If you take your time and make them special your guests will anticipate the event even more. 

Comment below if you have any questions about how to create your own invitations. 

Laureen

No comments:

Post a Comment