Sunday, November 3, 2013

First Thanksgiving with fresh Cherried Cranberries!

Barbeque Turkey on the spit
I'm really happy this fall. I get 2 Thanksgivings. We have family visiting this weekend so we are having what we are affectionately calling "First Thanksgiving." First Thanksgiving will have all the lovely foods of the Thanksgiving we will celebrate at the end of this month but we get to eat it early. 

In my family we each make one or two things so no one has to cook all day. I have a huge family and we all cook something. My contributions are cranberries (real ones, no cans involved) and the non-alcoholic drink station. 

For the drink station, we put out water with lemon and cucumber. It is very 
easy and looks festive. I also like to provide a different flavor for the
non-drinkers and kids. This year we have bottles of pink lemonade and raspberry lemonade. You can make your own if you are really ambitious or you can do like I do and get pre-made ones and fill the bottles.

If your family traditions include cranberries in the shape of a tin can, then this recipe may not be for you. But if you like real fruit that tastes fabulous, then give it a go. You can make these well in advance and they are just as good. 

Since we will be having more than 30 at our celebration, I triple the recipe. You can use a smaller pan for the recipe below.  


Cherried Cranberries 

(adapted from a recipe by Traci's Grandmother)

1 lb cranberries, washed and stems removed
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup water
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 tsp each baking soda and salt


Clean the cranberries. I put mine in a colandar and swish them around with my hand with the water running. If you see or feel a lot of stems. Turn off the water and go through each cranberry to make sure the stems are broken off and washed away.  



Put the cranberries into a saucepan and add in all other ingredients. 

Note: I make a lot of cranberries and double or triple this recipe due to the number of people I need to feed. You will have about half the cranberries shown in these pictures. 
Bubbling soda--not boiling yet

Mix all ingredients to combine well.  Turn the heat to medium high until the mixture comes to a boil. 

Make sure it's really boiling, the soda will bubble.
I peeked so you don't have to

Lower heat and simmer covered for 15 minutes. No peeking. We want the sugars to dissolve and thicken. I took the picture to the left and peeked so you don't have to wonder what is going on in there. 

After 15 minutes of simmering, remove from heat and let cool. Keep covered until cool. 

You aren't supposed to peek during this part either, but I peek and taste. If too bitter add more sugar while it's hot so the sugar will dissolve.

Let cool, put into a pretty bowl and you are ready to serve. These can also be made a few days in advance and refrigerated, or far in advance and frozen. 


Let's eat!
Laureen




2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this! I hadn't found fresh cranberries in Guatemala before this year, and didn't bring the recipe with me. I appreciate you keeping my grandmother's recipe going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you found it! To reproduce your grandmother's recipe, omit the cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete