Saturday, November 16, 2013

Setting a Buffet for Ease of Use



I am one of those people that always looks for an easier way to do things. I hate inconvenience and try to be as efficient as possible. Really what it boils down to is that I am lazy. 

I have recently found that a mild irritation of mine is quickly turning into a pet peeve by attending events with buffets. 

Don't get me wrong, I love a good buffet. I like being able to choose what I eat and how much, however most places, including many caterers and restaurants, set things out so that it is very inconvenient for the guests as in the picture above.  So what is wrong with this picture? 

Can you see it? 

All the plates, utensils and napkins are at the front of the line. Guests need to carry their utensils and napkins with them as they maneuver the line for food. It makes no sense. 

Do you really want guests using their utensils as they walk down the line of platters? No! Ewww! Ick! 

Put them at the other end! Allow the guests to pick up their plate, walk down the buffet line choosing whatever sumptuous things you have provided for them. Then when they have made their selections allow them to pick up utensils and napkins. Guests will know which utensils they need at this point and won't grab a knife or spoon if they don't need it.

It makes so much sense! I know, right? Why didn't we think of this years and years ago? 

Well actually, someone in my family did think of it years and years ago and now all of our holiday buffets are set up this way. And I now set up every buffet this way. 

I hope you also find this tip works for you! Let me know what other things you do when entertaining to make it easier on your guests! 

Let's Eat! 
Laureen

No comments:

Post a Comment