Saturday, December 28, 2013

DIY Healthy Beauty Products! All homemade!

This Christmas, my family and I agreed to make things for each other. I went through old recipes, thinking Pumpkin bread, flavored vodkas, or spice combinations. Last year I made fresh bread with  blueberry, red wine compote, and jalapeno jelly honey butter. They were yummy! 

I wanted to do something new this year. Something I hadn't tried before. I figured worst case scenario, I could fall back on flavored vodkas and olive oils. 

So I decided on skin products and lip balm. I use organic ingredients so they are high quality products. I made a lip balm, antibacterial hand cream, and soothing skin salve. 

 The lip balm was included shea butter, sunflower oil, cocoa butter, peppermint extract, raw honey, and a little bees wax. The raw honey doesn't mix well with the oils so I might omit it next time. If you want to include the honey, add just a little. I have to admit that it does make the lip balm taste really good. And this stuff stays on your lips for hours! That is, if you don't lick off the honey. Click here for the recipe.



The natural antibacterial moisturizing lotion was a bit of a cheat in that it started with lotion. I added in vitamin E, coconut oil, eucalyptus essential oil--which is the natural antibacterial, and almond oil. This one needs a mixer so you can whip it together. At first I didn't whip it and the coconut oil didn't mix well with the lotion. 

I scooped the product back out of the containers and whipped the ingredients and it came out looking like it does in the picture...fabulous!

The final healing salve is made of olive oil, coconut oil, vitamin E oil, bees wax, lemon essential oil, orange essential oil, tea tree oil, and a little lavender essential oil.

This one is my favorite. It is fabulous for dry skin. It stays on the skin and is absorbed slowly so don't touch anything for a while until it soaks in. But it also works better than pure shea butter to soften and soothe skin. 

You can find many recipes for these items on Pinterest but I will post my recipes here soon. I plan to continue to work on them to pack in as many healthy and healing ingredients as possible into future versions. 

To a Healthy, Happy New Year! 
Laureen



On Sale Now at The Knot Wedding Shop

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see your recipes! I've been wanting to experiment with lotions...thanks for doing it for me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also can't wait for your recipes! My skin is so sensitive and needs something natural without preservatives to keep it young and supple ...

    ReplyDelete