Friday, January 31, 2014

Raw Food Cookies Truffles

Eight years ago I had a really scary diagnosis. Doctors told me I was just under the levels for multiple myeloma, a bone marrow and blood cancer. I was sent off to a hematology oncologist with instructions to not worry. HA!

So long story short, this diagnosis started my trek to become more healthy. I cut out man-made chemicals from my life as much as possible, and I started eating organic foods. Since that time I have taken many supplements, worked many detox programs, and I continue to change my eating habits.

I have made it 8 years without progressing to cancer. No chemo or bone marrow transplants for me!

What I have found works best is to change one thing at a time. Just keep making one more thing healthier in your life. We know white sugar is no good, so try honey, evaporated cane juice, sucanat, or coconut sugar. Then work on replacing the flour you use with healthier ones. Buy unbleached flour, then add in half oat flour, or try some almond flour.

Through using this method of making every recipe just one step healthier, I am finding I can have all sorts of yummy things and give my body nutrients at the same time! The possibilities are endless!
 

Recently, my husband also had some health issues. We went to a Naturopath and we got instructions for further refining our diets. With this new list of foods in mind, I created a new Raw Food treat that tastes so good, like a truffle, and is packed with nutrients. Not a bad ingredient in it! 

Raw Food Cookie Truffles

1/2 cup raw almonds
1/2 cup raw walnuts 
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon 
1/8 teaspoons sea salt 
1 packet Stevia

1-3 Tablespoons hemp, coconut, or almond milk
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract


Optional Additions:
3 Tablespoons raw cacao

3 Tablespoons chia seeds
1/4 teaspoons nutmeg



Instructions
  1. In a food processor, process the almonds, walnuts, and almond flour until the oil starts to come out of the nuts. It will be grainy but should look like it is well on it's way to becoming a nut butter.
  2. Add the cinnamon salt, Stevia, milk, and vanilla. Process to combine.
  3. Taste the "dough." If it is not sweet enough for you add a little more Stevia.
  4. Next, add the optional ingredients and pulse just to combine. Taste again. Adjust flavors. My raw cocoa is very bitter and sometimes I need to add a little more sweetener.
  5. Roll the cookie dough into balls about 1 tbsp each and place them in a tightly covered container. You can freeze them to make them more firm but they do not need to be refrigerated. 
These truffle cookies are excellent to bring with you when traveling. They have all sorts of healthy proteins and fats in them. They also taste like you are eating something you shouldn't be eating. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do. 


Happy Healthy 2014,
Laureen

2 comments:

  1. These definitely look intriguing! I love almond flour in everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love almond flour too. These are really good. I highly recommend them with some chocolate added. Makes them taste more like cookie dough.

    ReplyDelete