Saturday, February 1, 2014

Gluten Free Crackers - Base recipe and alternatives

My husband was recently told to not eat gluten or any sugar. No honey, no sucanat, no coconut sugar, no wheat or oats at all. I immediately started my quest to continue eating foods we love without the ingredients that harm us.

I found some cracker recipes on Pinterest and they looked good but I wanted more flavor. I took a little from one recipe, a little from another and came up with this. 


These really are as good as they look. My first attempt at making crackers, first time using parchment paper (I know, I know), and look how yummy they look! This picture wasn't even enhanced.

Gluten Free Crackers (Base recipe) 

2 cups almond flour or meal
1/2 teaspoon salt

2 Tablespoon white sesame seeds (or 1 T black seeds and 1 T white)
1/2 teaspoon onion powder

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
 
1 egg
2 Tablespoons olive oil

1 Tablespoon water (if needed)

Makes 18-20 crackers


Alternatives:

Herbed - I added Italian herbs to mine. Add:
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil 
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder (in addition to the half called for in the base recipe
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder (in addition to the half called for in the base recipe 

Instructions: 

Mix all dry ingredients. You can mix this together in a tightly sealed container and store it as a dry cracker mix. 

Add in wet ingredients and mix until ingredients come together to form a dough. 

Preheat oven to 350'. 

Put a sheet of parchment paper on a counter so you can roll out your dough on it. Dump the dough out onto the parchment paper and using your hands kneed it into a ball. Smash down the ball into a disk. 

Put another piece of parchment paper on top of the disk of dough and roll out until the dough is about 1/4" thick. The dough rolled really easily for me and it was easy to make it too thin on the edges. 

When the dough is rolled to the right thickness, peel off the top layer of parchment paper. Use a pizza cutter to cut the crackers into approximately 1" squares. Move the entire sheet of parchment paper, with cut crackers onto the baking sheet. Sprinkle with sea salt.

Bake at 350' for 10 minutes. Check the crackers. The edge crackers should have started to brown and the center should be set but not quite crispy. Remove any edge crackers that look done. They are ready for eating. The center crackers will need to still be cooked more to crisp up. Use a small spatula to break the crackers apart and put space in between them so the edges can brown. 

Pop the pan back into the oven and cook for another 5-10 minutes until crackers are browned and more crisped. 

We ate almost all of these crackers in one sitting because they tasted so good. They would also be good with toppings. 

Enjoy! 
Laureen

6 comments:

  1. These look amazing! I'm always looking for good almond flour recipes and crackers were my next thing to tackle. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Tracie! The best part is I didn't even enhance the picture. This is really what they looked like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! A great way to use the almond mea left over when I make almond milk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you use another gluten free flour other than almond flour? I just looked in my cabinet and I am out!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carie, I haven't used other flours but I don't know why they wouldn't work. You may need to adjust the liquid a little.

      Delete
  5. Traci, I am so glad I could help you use the almond meal.

    ReplyDelete