Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Turning cravings into opportunities

So I did it. I fell off my new eating plan. I don't like to call it a diet because I am not doing it to lose weight as much as to regain health. 

I had to travel for work and I discovered something. Choosing gluten-free food does not mean it is also dairy and sugar free. Should be obvious, right? But I wasn't thinking. And then I tried to not eat anything I knew to be bad and ended up starving. And then I ate bread. 

I was trying to stick to the plan. I ordered soup and sparking water from room service. I made sure the soup didn't have any cream in it. That it was purely vegetables and protein. The tray arrived and there was the bread. Hot, fresh, crusty french bread. 

I didn't just fall off my plan, I dove off head first. I even ate butter on it. 

Then the next day, I was really tired so I had coffee (also not on plan) and because I don't like bitter and I was riding my wheat/gluten high, I had cream and honey in it. The rest of the day didn't get much better. 

So now I am working to regain composure and am running to catch that health wagon I dove off a few days ago. 

But the cravings are back. I want something baked. And warm, and sweet. 

I looked back at the Breakfast Cookie recipe and realized I could make a slightly sweeter version to get me over these cravings. 

These are the new, sweeter, cookies.

Craving-Killer Cookies

All ingredients should be organic. I have included links to items so you can see what they look like before you go searching for them. Or if you are like me and work all week, order them using Amazon Prime and have them delivered to your door. 
 
1 1/2 cup freshly ground almond butter (my local organic grocery sells fresh ground)
1 large egg
3/4 cup almond, hemp or coconut milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
heaping 1/4 cup shelled hemp seeds
heaping 1/4 cup chia seeds
heaping 1/4 cup hulled buckwheat groats
 
2-3 teaspoons Stevia
1/2 teaspoon baking soda (aluminum free)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon sea salt

In a large food processor bowl, add almond butter and egg. Blend to combine. Add milk and vanilla and almond. Blend until thoroughly mixed. The mixture should start to look like a batter. 

Add hemp, chia, and buckwheat and mix to combine. If the dough is looking dry, add more milk. The chia seeds will absorb quite a bit of liquid and you don't want the batter to be dry. Add all remaining ingredients and blend until mixed. I taste it and see if I like the taste. If it needs more sweet, I add more Stevia. If it needs more spice, I add more cinnamon and nutmeg.

Preheat over to 350'. Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper and scoop out a heaping tablespoon of dough. Place about 2" apart on the cookie sheet. 

Bake for 10 minutes or until set. You can leave the glaze off if you prefer.

(Optional) While cookies are baking:
1 teaspoon stevia
1.5 teaspoons cinnamon
1 Tablespoon coconut oil

Mix the cinnamon and stevia in a bowl and set aside. 

Put a tablespoon of coconut oil into another bowl. 
 
Immediately when cookies come out of the oven, dunk the top of the cookie into the coconut oil and then into the cinnamon and stevia. Repeat until all cookies have been dipped. 


These are working to kill my sweet cravings and to keep me on plan. I hope you like them
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment