Friday, August 16, 2013

Signature Cocktails - DIY Entertaining and Weddings

 Friday nights for me include kicking off my work week shoes and enjoying a cocktail. It can be as simple as a good red wine, or as complex as an old fashioned Manhattan. I have also become adept at creating new recipes on the spot based on ingredients I have on hand. 

What I want depends on the season, my mood, how the week went. 

I try to keep the basics on hand, but sometimes a little something sparkling or fruity hits the spot. As summer turns to fall, I like bourbons, brandys, cognacs, and more rich combinations.

Playing with drink recipes not only gives you the ability to have your own version of a particular favorite (for me, there is nothing like a good Manhattan), but also gets you familiar with the blending of tastes so that you can create signature drinks.

When I threw the bridal shower for my niece earlier in the year, I created 2 signature drinks for the party and named them for the bride and groom. The bride's favorite alcohol is sparkling wine and the groom has a fancy for bourbon (YAY!).

Let me introduce you to Julie and Jarrod. They both have an affinity for mid-century styling and they look amazing in pictures. 

Seriously, this is their engagement photo. Pretty cute, cool, and Mad-Menish, right? They set up a speakeasy the week before their wedding for guests who were in town early. They are one of those couples that has style.

So based on their personalities and their tastes, including their favorite alcohol, I created the drinks shown below: 
 
This is an image of the sign I used at the shower. Even though it was a girl party, Jarrod was there in spirit through the drink I created in his honor.

The "Julie" is loosely based on a champagne cocktail which was popular in the 1940s and 1950s. The "Jarrod" is based on a Manhattan, another drink popular in the mid-century and my personal favorite.

I need to take a minute to give a shout-out to my uncle, Dan DeSantis, for teaching me what a Manhattan should be, and for telling me his recipe. He also taught me to drink good wine, but that is for another post. Dan really does make the best Manhattans, but mine are a close second.

I mixed up the "Jarrod" makings in a large pitcher and had ice and a shaker ready to finish them. I added a splash of the maraschino cherry juice and a couple of cherries for garnish. 

The "Julie" you make in a champagne glass. Drop a sugar cube in the bottom of a glass. Add a couple of dashes of bitters and a small splash of the maraschino cherry juice. Add a half shot of cognac and then the sparkling wine until the glass is full. It turned a beautiful pinky color, which matched the shower. The sugar cube makes the sparkle come out of the wine and it will continue to bubble as you drink it. 

Signature drinks are a fun way to add a fun detail to the party. Offer a few options as well as the separate liquor--for example, I had extra bottles of sparkling wine for those less daring souls. 

Have you made a signature cocktail for an event? How did it turn out? Are you planning an event and want to include a signature cocktail? Leave a comment below and I will do my best to help! And for those that prefer mocktails, let me know and I will post some of my favorite recipes for you. 

Cheers!
Laureen 

No comments:

Post a Comment