Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Party Supplies - What to rent, What to buy (and where)


I have a confession to make. I love party supplies. Love them all: plates, glassware, flatware, serveware, vases, cake plates--oh my! They make me happy. I collect party supplies like other women collect shoes.

People wonder how I can afford to have all the party supplies I need for just about any event. Well, this post will let you in on my secrets.

The picture above shows just a few of the items I have: white caterer-style tablecloths, granite slabs for cheese, flatware, serving items, vintage luggage, cake stands, brass candlesticks for flowers, platters, tongs, small ceramic plates, etc. 


Accumulate during end of season sales

Right now almost everyone has an end of summer sale. If you are having a wedding or anniversary party next spring or summer, now is the time to stock up. If you know your colors, head to the store to see what they have. When I was planning my wedding, I found beautiful vases, candle holders, and platters in my colors.
You can find tablecloths (for overlays, I will tell you how to get the caterer-style ones in a bit), beverage servers, items to use for cute centerpieces (check out the garden sales for unique containers). Every time you go into a store with a summer sale, walk through the aisles and pick up things that will work for your party. If it won't work or you don't love it, don't buy it. Another way to save money is to not spend it in the first place. 

If you want sparkles, wait for the Christmas sales. You can get inexpensive sparkly items after the holidays. Stock up on New Years items and transform them into Hollywood Glam or Great Gatsby.

Want to make tissue paper poms? Stock up during the Christmas sales when they dump their wrapping paper. Or stock up from the warehouse stores when they put out their holiday supplies.


Rental supply sales

Rental companies sell off their older items for great prices. I purchased large white tablecloths from a local rental company. Some of them had a small cigarette burn, or a stain but they could be easily covered by the cloth you put on top. I purchased huge tablecloths to use for buffet tables for $10 a piece! These tablecloths wash up nicely and can be used again and again (I have had mine for 10 years). I keep them folded and hung on a hanger in a spare closet and they stay really nice. 

Drapes, lace overlays, sheer panels

One word: IKEA! They have curtain panels that are sheer, lace, pattered, etc. for less than $20. One pair of sheer panels that are 57" x 98" are $12! Create gorgeous drapes with ribbon ties, panels blowing in the wind, or any other design you want. CHEAP! 

Centerpiece items

At some recent parties I have used antique brass candlesticks for centerpiece bases. I purchased all of these on eBay. Create a search on eBay and save it. Have an email sent to you every time there are new items that match your search. The most I spent for one of my brass candlesticks was $8. I now have 14 antique brass candlesticks that I can use. 


If you see a look you like in a magazine or online, go set up your eBay search and purchase the items yourself. Even if you aren't doing your own flowers you can save a lot of money by providing the items to your florist. 

Glassware, flatware, cake plates, plates, serveware

I have quite a few websites I use to find items but overall, I get great savings on catering supply sites. Search for catering or restaurant supply websites. They often have sale items and outlets where you can get serveware

Also look for sales at your local stores. You can find cake plates for very cheap if you walk through the clearance section of your favorite discount store. 

And don't forget IKEA. They have glassware, flatware, cutting boards, bowls, compotes, etc. etc. 


If you give yourself a year to plan your wedding, you can save a bunch of money by making your plan early, shopping around, and tracking what you have purchased and what you still need.

If you need help with this, let me know! I can help with event design and help you create your plans for much less than hiring an even planner. 

Laureen

No comments:

Post a Comment